Saturday, May 17, 2008

Glenwood Springs and Hanging Lake














Well, I finally got to check out Hanging Lake for myself! It was definitely worth the trip! But, I'll tell ya, it was a trek! The trail was definately a work out and very rocky in several places. I had to make several rest stops as I am out of shape these days!


The view was incredible! As you ascend toward the lake, you are basically wandering through Glenwood Canyon (I believe...) and the canyon is literally walled in by squared off rock towers (very Indiana Jone's-like).


Anyway, when you FINALLY get there it is absolutely stunning! The lake is so clear, crisp, and colorful! After taking pictures of the lake area, you can head up toward Sprouting Rock and see another waterfall area.

*****


Hanging Lake (which I mentioned here in another post) is near Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Honestly, I was very surprised by the popularity of this small, cute town! It isn't even summer yet and just about every restaurant, hotel, and site I visited was filled with people! A local said that it is not uncommon, during summertime, for every hotel to be booked up! Very interesting....


The town of Glenwood Springs is surrounded by alpine beauty---with many of the mountain faces blushing with red rocks. The "hot spot", or the place to be, in this town seemed to be the Glenwood Springs Hot Springs--the place was packed!

Anyway, I will definately be back to this surprising jewel of a place!




**Cheap place to stay:
Starlight Motel (no bells and whistles but a decent enough place).

**Nice place to stay:
Hotsprings Lodge ($$$).

No comments: