Sunday, March 27, 2016

Denver's Union Station: A Dining Destination

Photos: J. Foster, 2016.
 
    I finally made my way to the newly renovated Union Station at 17th and Wynkoop, in downtown Denver. It was a fabulous mix of travelers with luggage surrounded by locals with curious appetites. Besides operating as a central hub for Amtrak, as well as, local RTD lightrail and bus terminals this historic location is now a hot spot for local food and drink fare.   
 
   As I examined the architecture both inside and out, I was reminded of two things: 1) the importance of historic preservation and 2) the thrill of being on a journey. I felt a sense of romantic nostalgia for another time and place. But as I stood in the present moment, I realized how grateful I am to live in a city that is expanding its infrastructure to include more rail lines. Denver really is a cool place to be.  
 

The Terminal Bar was a popular place at happy hour.

 
I stood in the main lobby/terminal for several minutes staring at the large terminal windows before going off to explore the hallways, stores, and restaurants.

I found the kiosk counter where I could have bought an Amtrak ticket to the east or west coasts before arriving at the Next Door Community Pub, where I chose to drink and dine.

Fish Tacos
 

Bacon Burger with Mashers
 I tried their "special of the day" fish tacos along with the Next Door's version of a Moscow Mule--very tasty! My date enjoyed a bacon burger with mashers. It was a fun time exploring some place new, as well as, tasting some yummy food. Also, our waiter was from London and quite fun to talk with.               
 Union Station is now home to several other popular restaurants:
 

Snooze an A.M Eatery
Stoic and Genuine
Mercantile Dining and Provision
Milkbox Ice Creamery
Next Door Community Pub
The Terminal Bar
The Cooper Lounge


 
Union Station is also home to the prestigious Crawford Hotel. The Crawford Hotel also gives tours of Union Station. Tickets must be purchased in advance. For more information on tours click here.  
 
For information regarding train and public transit, click here.

 
So, come and explore some Colorado history while enjoying the nostalgic ambiance of Denver's Union Station! Heck, maybe catch a train while you're at it!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

Linda said...

Beautiful tour. Thank you so much for sharing.