Saturday, July 16, 2016

National Parks Are for the People and for the Protection of Our Natural Resources.

 
As I stopped in to grab a cold beverage while on my way to Rocky Mountain National Park recently, the clerk behind the counter started talking with me about the park.  At one point he stated, "I don't think you should have to pay to see God's creation." He then shared that he has lived his entire life in a town just outside of the park but has never once entered the park.


At the time, I was a bit caught off guard. Wanting to get this guy to visit the park despite his hang-up, I suggested a couple of locations where I knew he could still be technically "in" the park but without having to pay. He seemed pleased with this news and so I headed on my way.


But his statement has rattled around in my brain for several weeks now.


There are so many things I wish I would have shared with him.


For instance, I do not necessarily enjoy having to pay for entrance either. I have a tight monthly budget and it took a big chunk to pay for my annual park pass.
However, what I wish I would have reminded him of is that each time you and I pay to enter our National Parks (and also State Parks) we are paying to keep them OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
Otherwise, they would go the way of the land....and become privatized....no guarantee that people like you and I would be able to enjoy the views, the trails, and the wildlife.


Heck, in the 1800s before RMNP or Estes Park existed as such, people were already trying to buy up all of the land and hunt out all of the wildlife. Well, specifically one man....called the Earl of Dunraven. Were it not for Enos Mills, F.O. Stanley, John Muir, and others....I guarantee you that the area now known as Rocky Mountain National Park would have been sold to the highest bidder and  turned into vacation home property for the wealthy.


But now, everyday of the year, people from all walks of life can enjoy the views and the various flora and fauna.


So, while we would probably all wish that such places of beauty and unspoiled resources were always free......in America it just doesn't seem to work that way.
However,  you can have peace of mind that every time you pay to enter one of our incredible National Parks, you are helping to protect our parks for future generations.


And when you hear on the news or see me posting petitions against the privatization of public lands....this is why....public lands such as National and State Parks are for the benefit of the people. Perhaps someone doesn't want to pay $20 bucks for a day pass.....I can understand.....but the amazing thing is.....for $20 bucks ANYONE can have the chance to hike to Emerald Lake, to drive to the Alpine Visitor Center, to sit beneath a lodgepole pine and watch for grazing elk, etc. Were it not for our public lands (and some ARE actually free) these regions might be bought up and sold for private property.


So, yeah, perhaps we shouldn't have to pay to see God's creation....but at least we get to see it, is the point.

No comments: