Sunday, September 23, 2007

An interesting and itchy discovery...


I was recently down in southeastern Colorado....As I was driving on a back road looking for highway 50, I saw up ahead of me, a black tiny creature crossing the road. As I slowed down to see what the thing was--since it was bigger than a bug and smaller than a rodent--I completely gasped! It was a freaking tarantula! I'm not kidding! I had no idea that we had tarantula's in Colorado! Thinking that this surely must be some type of isolated incident, I asked the next park ranger that I came to about this....He told me that actually in southern Colorado, Texas, and California that tarantula migration is a common phenomenon! What?! Did he say migration?? You mean there are lots of tarantulas in Colorado?! Good grief, just when I was starting to make peace with the bears and mountain lions...now I have to look out for tarantula's! Anyway, so yeah, for anyone else who might be surprised about this fact...I did some research immediately upon my return home and here are some websites I found:

http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/randi/2007/08/creepy-crawlies.html

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?articleId=988&issueId=70

http://www.tarantulas.com/found.asp

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/3691014/detail.html

3 comments:

Carla said...

they are gentle giants among the spider clan. don't worry. tarantulas only pose a problem to pretty actresses in vulnerable camping situations...in hollywood.

Kelly said...

I lived in Pueblo for about a year after i graduated from high school. One afternoon my friends and i tried to drive out to some abandoned airport we heard about. After driving out into the desert for about an hour we decided to turn around and go back. Then about half way back we saw a bunch of little things crossing the road. It was a herd of taranchulas. I lasted for about half to a full mile. There had to of been hundreds of them. Ive never seen anything like it in my life!

Kelly said...

This happened during the fall of 2004.