Saturday, June 14, 2014

How to dispose of your camping propane bottles; recycle!


With as much camping as Coloradoans enjoy, I could probably start my own propane bottle recycle program. But I'd rather spend my time outdoors! So, if you are like me and have a multitude of empty camping propane bottles lying around, here are some ideas as to where to properly dispose of them:

**Many places will gladly recycle them for you but for a small fee (like $5/bottle).

1) AAA Propane
Last year, after camping season, I found this place and have been forever grateful! It is a small, no frills, propane company located in Lakewood and Wheatridge. The manager at the Lakewood facility was super friendly and very glad to see people recycling. He told me that there is NO CHARGE to drop off my tanks whenever I want. Needless to say, I'll be seeing him again at the end of this camping season.
***Updated 7/19/17--just found out the location at 2651 W. Hampden has closed. I will call the one in Wheat Ridge and see if they are as friendly and helpful.

2) Your local waste disposal service--Check and see if your city/county has a hazardous waste disposal service. For Lakewood (Jefferson County) they prefer you take your propane bottles to Rooney Road Recycle Center (there is a small fee).

3) **Updated on 6/24/16: I just read that if you camp at Moraine Campground in Rocky Mountain National Park that they have a small propane tank recycle bin near the entrance.

Before finding AAA Propane, I called several other propane rental companies and like I said earlier, they would gladly take my camping bottles off my hands but for a small fee.

People used to tell me that I could drop my propane tanks off at the local fire department but this really isn't true.

So, if you have a collection of small camper propane bottles around--take them to AAA Propane!

Enjoy camping season!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this information! I've been saving my old camping propane bottles in the garage for years thinking I'd eventually find somewhere to recycle them. Just as you said, AAA Propane accepted them without a fee and couldn't have been nicer. They were great! Thank you again!

Jess said...

Awesome! Glad you were able to recycle! Happy Summering!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this tip! I was able to recycle 5 canisters today. I appreciate it.

Jess said...

Yay! Glad to help!