Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Walking in the Footsteps of the Ute at 11,000 feet






I have long been fascinated with the various Native American tribes that first inhabited the Colorado territory. Upon learning that the Ute tribe frequented the area now known as Rocky Mountain National Park, I have been fascinated to retrace their steps and to try to see through their eyes. Just this week I finally got the chance to walk along the Ute Trail, which traverses heights of  over 11,000 feet. I pondered the view as if I lived in the 1800's (or beyond) and marveled that I was seeing the very same view that the Ute's saw as they hunted in this area during summer time. The hike was more of a stroll and at times I was actually being pushed along by the forceful winds that frequently blow through the high elevations. Situated off of Trail Ridge Road, the views are astounding! I will always remember this hike as I felt connected to nature and to history.














No comments: